Why I have these books: Recommended by my friend, L... and I'm always glad to read an Amish story. :)
When the Heart Cries
When the Morning Comes
When the Soul Mends
This book series is about an Amish girl who finds herself at odds with her upbringing, her community, and her family. (Every Amish book seems to have the same general theme...)
I've read other "Amish" books by another author, and this series has way more depth than the others I've read. There were lots of good stories branching off of the main one. It is intersting to contrast their way of life and their beliefs with my own and my community's.
Honestly, I really want to know more about the Amish. All these books hint at their beliefs and their way of life in ways that almost seem a bit negative without coming right out and saying it. I don't know what to think.
I know my grandma would like to read these books, so I'm sending them on to her. I enjoyed them a lot, but I don't know if I would read them again...?
(The books deal with rape and it's aftermath, but there is no graphic description and no swearing that I can recall.)
ETA: I'm adding this note in December, 2015. Apparently, I forgot to check my blog, and since Amazon only informs you of a prior purchase if it's the exact same item, I bought these for the second time! Oops. This time I bought them on my Kindle (I had bought print before), and didn't check the blog until I was starting to read them. The good news is… I did remember a lot of the story (but not so much that it spoiled it), so I didn't feel like I'm losing my memory entirely. Also good news: I really enjoyed them, maybe even more than the first time. :) So all-in-all, not a big deal… but I need to remember to check my blog to make sure I haven't read something before!
It reminds me of my grandma telling me that she enjoys a book just as much the second time, because she can't ever remember what happens. haha...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment