Why I have this book: My son - who is just becoming a strong and committed reader - liked other books by Roland Smith AND it was also recommended by my friend, L, whom I always trust with reading suggestions.
I really enjoyed this "young adult" book (recommended age on the back cover is 12+) about a 14-year-old boy who attempts to summit Mt. Everest. There is so much more to the story than just the climb... and the book is very well written. My (almost) 11-year-old read it and enjoyed it, and it was entertaining for me, as well. In fact, I had to leave my home to pick up my daughter at a school event just as I was getting to the end of the book, and it was hard to put it down for those 20 minutes. It reminded me of a non-fiction book about Mt. Everest and those who attempt to summit. It's not even in my "Top 10,000 Things I Hope To Do" list... but it sure is interesting that for some people, it's a dream they are willing to risk their lives to achieve.
Definitely a keeper. (One swear word that was already crossed out by my son, and a couple of mildly suggestive comments... I'm pretty sure my son wouldn't have picked up on them at all, but I do have to wonder why they are even in the book.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment