Friday, May 3, 2024

My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.

I heard about Jodi's books back when they were still new and popular. I think I chose not to read them because my standards were higher than they are now (haha), and I heard they had the F-word in them.

I probably didn't read this particular one because (besides the content issues), it deals with cancer. I just don't love stories with cancer and death of loved ones. I kind of forgot about that when I put this one on hold.

I gave it four stars on Goodreads. The main "love story" of the book felt a little "Humphrey Bogart" in tone. Kind of that dry bantering you think of with Humphrey's acting. I don't know. I haven't really seen him in very many movies (probably just clips from movies), but that's what it made me think about. I didn't really feel a lot of depth in that particular part of the storyline, and I didn't feel a real connection to them as a couple, although as individuals, they seemed more developed. I feel like I was able to get to know the other characters much better, which is great because the story was more about everything else going on.

It was a very interesting and thought-provoking book. It reminded me that life can be very complex and difficult, and that at any given moment, there are families dealing with some really rough and unfair situations. It's sad.

Plenty of swearing, including the F-word. A small amount of sexual content, mildly descriptive. The story deals with cancer and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment