Sunday, May 5, 2024

El Deafo (Cece Bell)

Why I have this book: My friend recommended it early this afternoon, and since it was available to borrow from the ebook library, I read it today.

It's a graphic novel, so it was a pretty quick read (although longer than I expected). It's basically a memoir of how Cece (the author) adjusted to losing her hearing at age 4 and how she dealt with figuring out where she fit in with her peers over the next handful of years.

It seems like it would be a great book for all kids (and adults) to read in order to see how those with disabilities might feel. Obviously, this is just one person's story, but I think it would teach readers to be more aware and willing to communicate about what works for those who are hard of hearing or are blind or have other unique challenges. 

I gave it three stars on Goodreads. 

Clean with a little upper-elementary level humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment