Tuesday, July 4, 2023

With a Shadow of Doubt (Jess Alexander)

Why I have this book: I bought the Kindle version after seeing the author talk about it in a FB group I'm in.

I think this book did a great job representing how some LDS men act, how LDS culture can be, how entrenched members of the LDS Church are in their religion, and how that entrenchment influences behavior and emotions.

But this book desperately needs an editor. Some things are flat out errors (Tad Callister isn't a member of the Twelve Apostles, for example, and saying the name "Kimble" is a big name in Mormonism when it's "Kimball" the authors seem to be referencing). There are multiple grammar and punctuation errors, as well.

The descriptive sex scenes seemed out of place and I honestly think the book would have been better leaving it to the readers' imaginations. I'm also a bit confused how young marriage was frowned upon, but a relationship that started just as young between the main romantic characters is okay when the assumption is that eventually they will get married. And let's face it... the male romantic interest is probably a little too perfect.

I also didn't like how the main character went from Molly Mormon to doing things like drinking (underage) and swearing like a sailor. I do think that some of those who leave orthodox religions take that path (along with other behaviors) as part of their deconstruction. I also think it's not necessary, but I recognize that some fault has to fall at the feet of the religions that create so much shame and control. For some, there's a time of "rebelliousness" in trying to reclaim their sense of self. Others might do things that "normal" people do that isn't seen as rebellious except within the religious community. It's complicated!

Overall, I really did like this story. It was a good representation of the struggle of a faith crisis/transition.

This book did have a couple pretty graphic sex scenes, premarital sex, swearing, etc. I think the message would have been much better without all of that, and probably would be better received by those who are still in the LDS Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment