Why I have this book: My friend recommended it, so I borrowed the audio version from the ebook library.
Okay.... hmmm. I gave this book three stars on Goodreads. I waffled between three and four stars, and I wish I could have gone with 3.5'ish.
Why it could be closer to three stars than four:
Too much profanity, particularly the F-word.
Some really disgusting written words/phrases left on Eleanor's text books, and the disturbing conclusion about that.
I don't think many (if any) teenagers speak the way the protagonists do.
Who stole her clothes???
The love story seemed unlikely, and their behavior on the bus seemed unrealistic considering there was no response from the other kids on the bus given their tendency to be bullies.
Why it could be closer to four stars than three:
The friendship/relationship between Eleanor and Park is sweet.
The story kept me pretty engrossed. It became more intense as it went on.
Also, that is the author's real name.
One tricky thing was that I read another book (With a Shadow of Doubt - reviewed just previously) while also listening to this one. It got a little confusing when I came back to Eleanor and Park because the main male character in the other book is half-Asian like Park is, and I had to sort through my brain to remember what came from the other book and what was part of this one. That's the problem with having more than one book going at a time!
Lots of profanity, some implied/mildly descriptive teenage sexual activity (although not "all the way"), some creepy comments/innuendo, domestic abuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment