Why I have this book: I borrowed the audio version from the ebook library after a friend recommended it. I also have read other books by the author which I've enjoyed.
I gave this one four stars on Goodreads. It's definitely a hard topic in that it deals with the Holocaust and the treatment of Jews in Poland during WWII. I've read lots of books about WWII, and I always appreciate when I am able to learn more about what happened that I hadn't known before. I did know that there were those who smuggled Jewish babies and children out of the Jewish communities, but I didn't know about the Jewish uprising or about how the Nazis took Jewish children from their families and from orphanages to ship them away (presumably to kill them). It's absolutely horrific. There really are no words.
The audio book itself was fine. The female narrator did a better job than the male narrator, in my opinion. I was confused why some characters had accents and others didn't considering they all lived in Poland.
Clean as far as swearing (I don't recall any) and sexual situations. There is one rape that occurs, but it's not graphically described. There is wartime violence in this story, and even though it's not super graphic, just the knowledge of what was happening is disturbing if one has any kind of humanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment