Monday, July 24, 2023

Westering Women (Sandra Dallas)

Why I have this book: I bought the Kindle edition with a gift card from Christmas. I'm not sure why I picked it... I have liked other books by this author, but I don't know if someone recommended it or what. I also borrowed the audio version from the ebook library.

I only gave this one two stars on Goodreads. Ugh. So much awful stuff that was completely unneeded for the point of the story. Child rape (incest), gang rape, so many abusive husbands/partners. The author even said in her "Acknowledgements" that nearly all the men in the story are bad guys. Her response was, "So?"

The character development wasn't great, the sorrow at loss was shallow, the writing wasn't very engaging. It's one of the author's more recent books, but it felt like a debut novel because it lacked depth. Pretty disappointing. 

Just looking back on my Goodreads list, I can see I gave other books of hers mixed reviews... two stars up to four stars over the eight books I've read since I started keeping track. I guess I didn't like all her books as much as I was thinking I did.

There was probably some swearing in this book, but of the more mild variety. As I mentioned, abuse, rape, child rape, gang rape... none of it is descriptive, but it's a lot and paints a negative picture of how the majority of men behave. There are some deaths due to the dangers of pioneer travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment