Sunday, March 5, 2023

Baring Witness: 36 Mormon Women Talk Candidly about Love, Sex, and Marriage (Holly Welker)

Why I have this book: I saw it recommended on Amazon, so I borrowed it from the ebook library.

I gave this book four stars on Goodreads. It was interesting to hear thirty-six perspectives on how Mormonism played into the marriages of the contributors to this book.

The intro was very long and kind of boring for me, but the majority of the stories were engaging. Some of the women who contributed their stories were still members of the LDS Church, some had left. Some married in the temple, some didn't (for various reasons). Some are still married, some are remarried, some are divorced, one or two were widowed. 

What I found so fascinating was seeing how some women were super influenced by their religious upbringing in how they assumed their roles as wives and mothers. Other women bucked the system and lived outside of traditional roles in their marriages. This was true, as well, in the years of dating or in deciding when or whom to marry. Some were stronger in facing their challenges because of their religious beliefs, and others found strength when they left those beliefs behind. I could relate to some more than others, and sometimes it was difficult to see in writing the feelings I had as a Mormon wife and mom.

Clean. I don't remember if there was any swearing. Some women did talk about their sex lives as it related to their marriage, but it wasn't graphic.


No comments:

Post a Comment