Tuesday, December 28, 2021

The Blue Castle (L.M. Montgomery)

Why I have this book: I think I've read it twice before in paperback, but got the Kindle edition for a steal a few years ago.

I love this book. Apparently it was a bit scandalous when it was published since society felt like Ms. Montgomery was a children's author, and this one is for adults. I can see how it raised a few eyebrows, but obviously, it's nothing compared to even mainstream books that are published these days.

In any case, I gave it five stars on Goodreads. It's funny, sweet, romantic, sad at times, and an overall enjoyable read.

Interestingly, this book uses the word "dope" in it, which was also used in Blue, which I reviewed earlier this week. In this book, it wasn't hard to figure out how it fit in... she was talking about medicinal concoctions. In the other book, they were talking about soda. It's interesting how words are used differently at different times in history or in different regions of the world.

Also, two quotes that struck me:

"The moment when a woman realises that she has nothing to live for - neither love, duty, purpose, nor hope - holds for her the bitterness of death." ("Realises" is how it is spelled in the book... Spellcheck isn't liking it.)

"I've been trying to please other people all my life and failed... After this I shall please myself. I shall never pretend anything again. I've breathed an atmosphere of fibs and pretences and evasions all my life. What a luxury it will be to tell the truth! I may not be able to do much that I want to do but I won't do another that I don't want to do..." (Again, the spelling of "pretences" is from the book.)

Clean by today's standards. There's a bit of underlying sensuousness and a few mild swear words. One character had a baby out-of-wedlock (which was one reason this book was considered scandalous).  

No comments:

Post a Comment