Sunday, December 26, 2021

How to Train Your Dad (Gary Paulsen)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library when I saw it was a new release from the author. I discovered it on the day I was reading more about him because he had just passed on.

My kids and I have read some of the earlier works by Mr. Paulsen, and this one is very different from the ones we read.

It's pretty nonsensical and I think most kids would find it hard to relate to the main character and his life's circumstances. It was kind of funny, and the ending had a lot of promise, but it tied up too quickly for my taste. It probably would have read better as an epilogue? (My Kindle skipped forward toward the end... I don't know if I hit the screen wrong or what, but suddenly I had missed the last chapter, which really made for a puzzling and abrupt finish to the story. I went back some pages to figure out what happened and discovered the "missing" ending chapter. It still finished up pretty quickly to me, as I mentioned, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any more final chapters. Haha.)

I'm glad I read it, if only as a tribute to an author whose books have had a place in our home library for decades now. Even without that reason, I still enjoyed it well enough. Even so, I only gave it two stars on Goodreads because it wasn't quite a three for me. (And I feel terribly guilty about that.)

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment