Thursday, June 8, 2017

Tears of the Silenced (Misty Griffin)

Why I have this book: I bought this memoir after reading a review on a blog. I've read "Amish fiction," mostly because they are clean and sometimes they have storylines that inspire me in my own faith. I admit, though, that I had a difficult time reconciling what I was reading with what I heard about the Amish. I had to kind of picture the characters in a different way than what I've seen of the Amish. I don't really know how to explain it...

Anyway, I am officially over Amish fiction now. This book was really eye-opening to the kind of things that go on in the strictest sects of the Amish faith. There are some on Amazon who question the truthfulness of this book, and I agree that there were times when I thought the story was unbelievable. How can anyone be so evil as some of these people are? I realize I live a pretty sheltered life, and I tried to remember that just because I haven't had or seen these kind of experiences doesn't mean they don't happen. I mean, we see horrific stories on the news, so I can't discount that these things do happen in the world. I decided to take this book at face value, knowing that the author did alter details in order to protect the innocent while also shedding light on what is going on in some of these communities.

I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads. It needed an editor for puncuation and grammar and random typos.

This book is difficult to read because of the level of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse (although apparently, the worst of it wasn't included in the book). There is also a small amount of swearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment