Friday, June 30, 2017

Crossing Over: One Woman's Escape from Amish Life (Ruth Irene Garrett)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the e-book library.

I used to like reading Amish-Christian fiction, but now it appears I'm on a "Leaving the Amish" kick.

This book was only so-so. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. The author didn't develop her faith-based reasons for leaving, although she says that's why she left. It seemed to me that she left more for love, and that story was somewhat disturbing to me. She states that she was 20 when they fell in love, but she alluded to feelings when she was in her teens. He was in his forties, three times divorced, morbidly obese, and argued with the Amish (who were employing him as a driver) about their beliefs. (I never have understood people who feel that it's okay to argue with others about their beliefs, especially when they aren't forcing their beliefs on anyone. It seems very disrespectful and rude.) He also would sneakily take pictures of the Amish people for his own commercial use, which she noticed. Adding all those things up, I'm perplexed by their relationship. Obviously, I wasn't there and I don't know either of them, but my inclination is to think of him as a predator. That's not the way the author sees him (and they have been married for quite some time now), so maybe it's not what it appears.

In any case, the book was just okay, in my opinion. I'm taking a writing class right now, so the errors were glaring as far as how it is written. (It's a curse. I can't read anything right now without making note of incomplete sentences, missing commas, etc.)

This book is mostly clean, although there is one instance of non-graphic premarital sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment