Wednesday, December 26, 2012

When You Can't Do It Alone (Brent L. Top)

The cover actually continues the title with, Take the Savior's Hand.

Why I have this book: I saw it while browsing the local LDS bookstore and thought it looked good.  I came home and looked to see if it was available on Kindle, since ebooks are often half the price of printed books in the LDS market. Yep, it was available!

I knew the author's wife had struggled with depression, but until reading this book, I didn't know that he did, as well. Not only depression, but anxiety, discouragement, and feelings of inadequacy. All of these things were struggles he faced during his time as mission president.

A lot of non-fiction LDS books have an authoritative, intellectual tone. This one doesn't. It's very down to earth and humble. Brother Top openly shares his struggles and how focusing on the Savior helps him press forward. He doesn't claim that living the gospel will solve all our problems or remove our weaknesses. He just shares how grasping the Savior's hand will give us strength to deal with them.

I enjoyed his book. I always appreciate when church leaders are open and honest about their struggles. I think it is helpful for those who are also struggling.

Clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment