Why I have this book: I used an Audible credit to "buy" the audiobook because I wanted to hear more of this story that I had only heard bits and pieces of on the news.
To be honest, my interest also was because this happened in a nearby area involving members of my former religious community.
I gave this one five stars on Goodreads. I thought the author (who is also the narrator) did a great job telling her story in a way that was conversational in tone. She seemed to respect the privacy of her minor-aged siblings and stated that their stories were theirs to tell if they wanted to in the future. It was interesting to see a more complete picture of what had been happening in the household for years before the events we all saw on the news. It's sad how some people get caught up in belief systems that end up harming others. To some degree, I understand how it happens, and I've seen it happen due to religion, politics, or "motivational" type organizations. It's scary how easily twisted and influenced the human mind can be.
I was surprised that the author stayed in the Church after her experiences. I'm not sure where she is now with all of that, but it would be interesting to see how her father and other siblings relate to religion after all they went through.
The story talks about domestic abuse, sexual relationships, and sexual abuse (mildly descriptive). I don't recall any profanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment