Saturday, January 3, 2026

The Names (Florence Knapp)

Why I have this book: It was another one I borrowed from the ebook library and had to put my Kindle in airplane mode in order to read it after the due date. Oops. December. I also used an Audible credit to buy the audio version.

I am so torn on this book. On the one hand, it was such an interesting concept. The writing was beautiful, and the audiobook had a narrator with a lovely voice. 

I had such a hard time following the story, though. It was absolutely impossible for me on Audible. The timeline jumps ahead every seven years in each part, and each part contains the stories of three variations of the characters' lives. It was just hard for me to remember what had happened seven years ago for each of those characters and their alternate lives. I ended up not listening to the audio version past the first section because I needed to go back and reference things and try to keep it straight, and that was easier in the Kindle.

I think it would have worked better for me if the story would have carried out each variation through start to finish, then the second alternative, then the third. Tell each story all the way through before switching to the next. 

But maybe it was just me. Maybe it was because I still had December brain.

Even with that issue, I still gave this book four stars on Goodreads. It really was a well-written book, the writing style was exquisite, and for a debut novel, I was very impressed with the author.

Domestic abuse, death, SA (framed as teenage stupidity), bullying... all these play a role. I don't recall the level of profanity, and nothing stands out in my mind about any kind of graphic content.

No comments:

Post a Comment