Tuesday, February 10, 2026

Four books in the Prairie River series (Kristiana Gregory)

Why I have these books: I had the whole series in paperback before, and I remember LOVING them. They came up on a good deal on Kindle, so I bought them to read again.

I gave them each three stars this go-around. (I think I read them the first time before I had Goodreads.) They are written for mid-to-upper elementary kids, and are kind of along the lines of Little House on the Prairie in tone. I didn't remember them being as religious in nature as they are, and I actually think I was confusing them in my mind with another book series or book that I read? There were things that I thought were going to happen that never did, so now I'm wondering what other book or series I was thinking of.

Anyway, I did enjoy them. I like the simplicity of life set in those times. The simple faith, the simple lifestyle without a lot of the modern distractions, the sense of community, etc. I fully realize they dealt with challenges that we don't worry about: harsh weather conditions, lack of medical help, growing all our own food, survival in the early days of settling the land, worrying about "Indian" attacks (or from the perspective of the Native Americans, worrying about attacks and losing land to the white people), etc.

Yeah, life wasn't simple at all for them, but I guess it was nice to imagine a time without all the distractions and information and crazy stuff that is happening in our day. It was a small escape from the things that are on my mind right now.

Side note: In one of the books, the author talks about the different tribes of Indians a character had encountered in his travels. One was the "Utahs." I have never heard of a Utahs tribe. I think she meant the "Utes." When I googled, it did say that early explorers used variations like Yuta, Eutaw, and Ute-ahs for the Ute tribe. Interesting new information for me! 

Also, the Kindle versions of these books had some weird formatting, so that's too bad. It was a little distracting.

Clean. There were some deaths and descriptions of things early settlers dealt with, but again, it is geared toward elementary readers, so it's not overly graphic.

No comments:

Post a Comment