Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.
Well, I'm super disappointed. I was finding the book quite interesting, but when the author included a chapter on Elizabeth Smart, I knew I couldn't trust him as an accurate source.
I've read Elizabeth's own book, and the things Krakauer claims about Elizabeth's feelings toward her captor are not at all what she says. He also got it wrong when he stated she would have worn sacred robes to the temple with her parents.
Since I know he was wrong in this section, I can't put a lot of stock into what he's written about other religious communities or situations about which I'm not familiar. Since I want all my sources to be impeccably true, I stopped reading this one at 13%.
Up until the point I stopped reading, there were disturbing stories about the way women and children are treated/molested/raped/murdered in fundamental religious communities.
No comments:
Post a Comment