Why I have this book: I borrowed the ebook version from the library even though I have the print version downstairs. I wanted to read it again before having my daughter read it.
I gave the book three stars on Goodreads. I probably would have given it four stars back when I read it the first time (probably 15 or so years ago), but the book is dated to some degree now, and I'm in a different stage of life.
I still think the story has merit for today's young people as long as they understand how dated it is. I'll probably recommend my daughter read it, and I'll just talk to her about how things are different now in technology and predator's methods.
I admit it was a little difficult for me to read about the mom in the story. She's so typically LDS, and it's hard to think about how much I probably accepted her lifestyle (similar to my own) when I first read this book. And... I don't know why the author made an issue of the daughter (Jess) always feeling fat. Not only that, but one of the points made in the wrap up is how she trimmed up by running cross-country or track or whatever. I don't know if that would fly in a book published today, and I found it annoying and probably not mentally or emotionally healthy for the average teenage girl to read.
Clean, although it deals with an abduction and implied sexual assault. There is also a murder that happened before the book begins. There is an underlying disturbing vibe because of the subject matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment