Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library after seeing a lot of good reviews online.
I don't know what I expected, but this wasn't it. I guess I was thinking it would be like an old-fashioned story set in the country with a river running through. Nope. Not at all.
I gave this book four stars on Goodreads. I could hardly put it down, and it's still swirling in my mind and soul. It had a gritty edge to it (but not gory or too creepy), and took me into a world that is so far removed from my own that it's hard to think about. It's sad that life like that is the reality for so many people.
I thought the author did a great job of bringing a good balance of humanity to the "streets." I don't think I'll stop thinking about this for a long time.
It is about murder, prostitution, drug addiction, police corruption. It's more than that, though... there's so much humanity involved. It's not just like an episode of CSI or Law and Order. There's more of the back stories that make people who they are.
In addition to those topics mentioned above, there is quite a bit of street swearing (including the F-word). There are also unmarried sexual relationships (not descriptive), but really, compared to the prostitution (also not descriptive), you kind of forget about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment