Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Parakeet Princess (Jandy Branch)

Why I have this book: I got it for free on Kindle years ago.

I gave this one star on Goodreads, and it's not because the writing is bad. The writing is actually really decent. The book kept my interest, but...

I really, really hated the message that if you're LDS, you can't date someone who is not. Supposedly the protagonist (who is 16-years-old?) draws all these perfectly nice non-LDS boys to her, but she turns them all down for dates because they aren't LDS.

I thought we had moved past that in the LDS culture. If these boys were drawn to her because of her "light," let's say, then how does her refusal to consider them "good enough" help share the goodness of the gospel?

The whole "parakeet-robin" analogy really annoyed me for the same reason. Ugh.

I can understand that when considering who to marry, religion is a big deal. This book just made LDS people look snobbish, though.

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment