Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Diary of Mattie Spenser (Sandra Dallas)

Why I have this book: I bought the Kindle edition in the last year because I thought it looked good.

And it was good. I could hardly get my nose out of it and basically neglected a good portion of my duties today because of it.

I still have a hard time believing that women of that era so freely wrote of their sexuality. I wasn't there, so what do I know? It just seems unlikely. This was my big complaint about Alice's Tulips, also by Sandra Dallas. While this one was a bit more dignified, it still felt a little weird (and unnecessary) to me.

There were also a few editing issues that disrupted the flow a time or two.

Other than that, I really liked the book. I find that books about pioneer settlers are some of my favorite. This one really tugged at my heartstrings.

There was a bit of swearing and some sexuality, though not overly descriptive. There are also situations with death and violence that were common in that era, and quite a bit of verbal racism in regards to blacks and Native Americans, as also was common in that time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment