Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library because I like historical fiction.
I assumed this book was written for the upper elementary group, so imagine my surprise when the s-word popped up in the first couple of pages, then the f-bomb a few pages later. WHAT? I quickly found out this was not written for children, although I guess some would argue the high school crowd wouldn't be too offended by the profanity. (I think it's too bad that casual use of profanity has become so accepted, and I find myself surprised that so many adults use it that way.)
The story hopped back and forth between 2011 and the early 1900's. (And the profanity was almost exclusively limited to 2011.) I LOVED the chapters set in the early 1900's. I liked how things came together in the characters from 2011, especially as the story progressed.
When I finished the book, I definitely felt it. I'm really glad I chose to dismiss the teenage cursing and move forward with the reading. It was a meaningful and thought-provoking story, maybe more so because I'm an adoptive mom. I really loved it.
There is quite a bit of swearing, mostly limited to the scenes from 2011. There is a short scene between two teenagers that indicates they have a more physical relationship, and it's slightly descriptive. One of the characters is a victim of an attempted rape, and that part did have quite a bit of detail.
P.S. It was so interesting to read some of the 1-star reviews on Amazon. While I recognized what they were saying about the conservative vs. liberal point of view, I certainly did not get stuck on it. In fact, I just didn't care because the message for me was about how our experiences shape us. But reading those reviews reminded me… the book opens with this quote, and it was the one thing I highlighted:
"In portaging from one river to another, Wabanakis had to carry their canoes and all other possessions. Everyone knew the value of traveling light and understood that it required leaving some things behind. Nothing encumbered movement more than fear, which was often the most difficult burden to surrender." (Bunny McBride, Women of the Dawn)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment