Tuesday, December 9, 2014

2001 Amazon Purchase Book Reviews

There are two books on my 2001 Amazon orders list that I don't have anymore. (I'm going through my orders on Amazon to read what I haven't read - yes, books I've had since 2001 that I haven't read yet - or to put a review on here or to read again to see if I want to keep them.

These two are the ones I don't have anymore and why:
Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know (E.D. Hirsch, Jr.)

I bought this book back in my homeschooling days. (We homeschooled for 2.5 years.) I don't think I ever read it, and after looking on all my bookshelves, I think I probably gave it away when I gave away a lot of my homeschool stuff. I'm sure it is a fascinating read, and there's a part of me that would want to read it if I still had it, but I'm okay that it's not here.

Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic (Martha Beck)

I absolutely loved this book when I first read it. I completely took it at face value and deeply appreciated the beauty in the story of a mother learning her unborn child had Down Syndrome, and her journey to bring that child into the world. The mystical qualities of parts of the book didn't bother me... I figured it was her experience and that's how she wanted to describe it.

I loved this book so much that I recommended it to others and to book clubs. During one of those book clubs, we learned more about the author and as I researched her life, her family life, and her other books, I pretty much lost the intrigue I had with this book. I guess I lost the trust I had in her story, so I chose to not keep the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment