Why I have this book: It was free on Kindle and I like to read books that keep me motivated to be organized. (Kind of the same way I feel when I watch Hoarders!)
If anyone had been watching me read this short (took about 20-30 minutes to read) book, they would have noticed the perplexed, yet amused look on my face.
So my house is pretty clean. It gets messy because I have two little ones and a teenager living here, but I can have it in tip-top shape, including mopping, dusting, scrubbing the bathrooms, etc. in an hour if I really want to. I don't have much clutter (I am constantly getting rid of stuff) and I try to keep things relatively neat and organized. I subscribe to the Flylady philosophy (Flylady.net)… so, when I read a sentence in this book that said something along the lines of, "Let's say you're cleaning the toilet and it takes 30 minutes, and you stop in the middle of it…" WHAT? Thirty minutes to clean a toilet??? Why in the world would it take 30 minutes to clean a toilet?
She also talks about wiping down each container of food as you clean out your pantry, lifting the carpet to clean under it (??? My carpet is tacked down.), "soaking" your sink in Turtle Wax… ? I was perplexed and dumbfounded. AND… each day of the 21 days was MAJOR cleaning and overhauling of a room. Like top to bottom cleaning out every cupboard, closet, etc. in each room in two days, including your attic. (I don't have anything stored in my attic, but I'm imagining those attics with boxes and trunks in them.) You would basically have to work hours and hours every day for 21 days to do this program. Even if your home is relatively neat to begin with, it would be a huge commitment to do all the things she says for her program. I guess if you were getting ready to move or have a family reunion at your house in a month and you have a really messy house… then it might be worth this kind of work.
BUT… for a real life way of keeping house, Flylady is the way to go. I'm glad this book was free (and thus I didn't waste any money), and while it didn't really bring any new motivation my way, it did make me grateful that I am able to keep my house clean with basic, simple routines that are livable!
Clean. (no pun intended)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment