Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Accidental Marriage (Annette Haws)

Why I have this book: I bought it on Kindle because it looked good.

Okay, so first I have to say that aside from the story itself, I am perplexed by something stated in the "About the Author" section at the end of the book. It states that the author is "the mother of four above-average children and..." I read on, waiting for the punchline, but there wasn't one. What does that mean? Above-average children??? I can't wrap my brain around saying that in this particular setting. Is she being serious? Is it a bragging point? Is it a joke? I don't get it.

Anyway, on to the story itself. I kind of really liked it, but also didn't. Some parts seemed so contradictory... like how the wife seems totally have the hots for her husband sexually (not descriptive at all), but they have no relationship outside of that. In fact, I'd say they almost have an anti-relationship. The husband is such a nincompoop in pretty much 98% of how he deals with his wife. Sometimes he was a downright jerk. (Like when he sees her new short haircut and he says, "You look like a cancer survivor." And this is when he is trying to work things out with her. What an idiot.) She doesn't seem to put much effort into the marriage (other than sexually, which - not surprisingly - seems to be enough to keep him happy and oblivious to how unhappy she is.) I guess I just never felt any kind of deep connection between them, even through the ending. And... I still don't see how things are going to work out, considering they have very, very different goals and wishes for their future family.

The writing was good and after the first few chapters, I was invested in the story. I am walking away, though, with a sad feeling, because I just can't see the "happy ending." It was an interesting look at in-law relationships. That, in itself, is a good reason to read this book.

Clean. Even though there are lots of hints at their marital intimacy, it's not at all graphic or even described in the least. Part of the story revolves around sexual harassment in the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment