Saturday, March 23, 2013

Two books by Jen Stephens

The Heart's Journey Home
The Heart's Lullaby

Why I have these books: They were "almost" freebies on inspiredreads.com. I actually cleaned out all the books I had bought, but had not read yet. I deleted the ones that looked like they would be "good", but not "better" or "best." These two, because I had paid for them, I kept.

I kind of liked them. For the most part, the story lines were good, the writing was okay. I liked how she did a contest, where readers could submit a person in their lives they wanted to honor, and the author created a character in the book who represented that person and his/her strengths. That was a neat idea, I thought.

The things I didn't like: Some parts seemed very unrealistic... coincidences that most likely would not happen in real life.

The author repeated themes over and over... for instance, characters would talk to themselves aloud, and someone would always walk in and catch the end of what they were saying. In the second book, this always made the one talking to herself get all put out. So... maybe don't talk aloud to yourself? I don't know. It became a bit tedious.

And repeated phrases... like, "She curled her lips into a smile." "He curled his lips into a smile." "Her lips curled into a smile." More than a few times.

I am a bit fascinated by the ease in which the characters discuss their Christian faith. I really have never known anyone who so openly discusses their faith all the time. I remember one person (I think it was the lady who did my nails back when I was in high school) who was like that. Frankly, it made me uncomfortable back then. I don't know... I know a lot of people of faith. Most wear it a bit more close to their hearts than the characters in this book. I'm not really sure what I think about it.

I don't think I would read these books again. If they were in print version, I'd probably donate them to the library.

Clean, but the stories include a child born out of wedlock, rape (minimally described), war, and the loss of loved ones to death.

2 comments:

  1. What? You use to get your nails done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... my senior year of high school. Maybe some of my junior year, too.

    Weird, huh? (It was the 80's.)

    ReplyDelete