The complete title includes the words, "Finding Hope and Healing Through the Atonement of Christ."
Why I have this book: My sweet husband took me on a much overdue date night last week. I was at "that point", it having been weeks since the last time we were out together (alone) and I was not feeling too happy. As part of our date, he took me to our local LDS bookstore to "look around." Then he told me I could buy whatever book I wanted. I jokingly said I was going to buy a book on depression. Haha.
Anyway, we ended up buying several books... but as we were looking around, this one caught my eye because "Depression" was right on the cover. Still sort of joking, I picked it up and flipped through it. I liked what I saw and ended up buying it.
The book is written by three members of a family: a wife/mom, a son, and a husband/dad. The wife struggled with debilitating depression for 25 years. It was sad for me to read about, because I could imagine how very difficult it was for her. The son also had depression as a teenager/young adult. Both of them eventually were able to find proper treatment for their illnesses, and both are able to live happy lives now. The husband/dad wrote about how it was to live with the suffering of his loved ones, and how to cope and draw on the strength of the Savior for support... and how to use that strength to be a support to his wife and son.
The thing about the book I really appreciated, and why I will refer to it again, was the focus on the Atonement in their lives. They have a reference list in the back of good books/talks/scriptures about the Atonement for study.
The book was fairly short and for me, the most important part was how the Atonement of Christ worked in their lives. I appreciate it hearing about the personal experiences people have that show how the grace of Christ is real and at work in their lives.
I will keep it because of the reference section of the Atonement study resources.
Clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment