Saturday, April 2, 2011

Beyond the Blue (Leslie Gould)

Why I have this book: I bought it after reading a review on someone's book blog.

I loved this book. Loved it. It is about adoption. Birth mothers and birth families. It's about Vietnam, motherhood, womanhood, and sisterhood.

I am an adoptive mother, and although my daughter wasn't born in Vietnam, this story connected with me. I found myself rubbing my little girl's back as I read. I found myself stopping and thinking of her birth mom and wondering how she is and if she is thinking of her little girl. I thought about our time in Korea, when we were there to bring her home, and about the people we met. This book just brought up all the emotions of the experience, and the gratitude I feel for my daughter and how she came to be a part of our family... and about the loss that is also a part of adoption.

One person who reviewed this book said every adoptive parent should read it. I agree. I think everybody should read it. It will help them to understand the emotions of adoption, and how it is so much bigger than just a family bringing home a child.

This book is a definite keeper. It's another one of those books that gets into your mind, but really, more deeply than that. For me, it is in my heart and soul.

This book is clean. There is some alluding to the fact that some women have to earn food and medicine through having relations with men.

No comments:

Post a Comment