Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)

Why I have this book: My mom downloaded it on our shared Kindle account. I heard of this book years ago, and had no desire to read it. I don't like creepy books, and it sounded creepy. Then they made a movie out of it and I had no desire to watch the movie either.

Anyway, I recently heard of others reading the book, and since it was on my Kindle and I was just in the mood to read something out of my ordinary range... and knowing I could just exit out of it if I didn't like it... well, I gave it a try.

Even though it had more swearing than I like and more sexuality than I prefer to read, I still found the story compelling and well-written. I got sucked in, I admit.

If I owned it, I would probably pass it along. I don't think I would read it again.

It's kind of one of those books that gets into your head and you think about it after you finished it.

This book does contain a handful of swear words, including two uses of the f-word. (I hate that word!) The main character is raped and murdered as a young teenager, and there are several references throughout the book that are sexual in nature. None of this is on the extreme graphic side, but I can't say it's not at all descriptive, either.

1 comment:

  1. I read that book when it first came out and everyone was raving about it. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as everyone else seemed to. It was creatively written though.

    ReplyDelete