Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bitten (Robert Smith)

Why I have this book: It was on the bargain shelf at the local bookstore.

Okay... so this book (I discovered) is an abridgement of two previous books by the author, who also is known as Robert Farrell Smith. He wrote Baptists at our Barbeque and Captain Matrimony. I reviewed Captain Matrimony earlier in this blog, and I liked it and the movie version of "Baptists..."

So if I had bought this book and didn't know it was an abridgement, and I had already read the other books (which were titled All is Swell: Trust in Thelma's Way and Falling for Grace: Trust at the End of the World), I would not be happy. But anyway, I hadn't read those other books, so it was fine.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that the author is somewhat a one-trick pony. All these stories are about quirky, LDS communities with even quirkier LDS people. You could interchange any character from this book into the other books and vice-versa. It worked a couple of times, but now it's just a bit redundant.

This book was okay... the second half was better than the first. I finished it and I'm glad it's done and now I can donate it to the library and move on.

I feel horrible saying all this, because I'm sure Robert (Farrell) Smith is a nice guy, and his stories are kind of fun. It would just be nice to see if he can write something that isn't based on quirky people in quirky communities.

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment