Friday, March 1, 2024

The Giver of Stars (Jojo Moyes)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.

One of the reasons I wanted to read this book was because I heard all the controversy about how Jojo was accused of copying ideas from The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson. In all honesty, when I first heard those rumors years ago, I didn't even want to read this one out of spite (believing the rumors), but I decided I should read it and see for myself.

While there are some similarities (there are lists online that detail those things out), the storyline was completely different. If I hadn't heard the accustaions, I don't know if I would have even picked up on the similarities. (I saw one person online say that as she was reading it, she kept thinking she had read the book before, but then realized it was The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek that she had read. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. The stories were 95% different, in my opinion.)

In any case, I gave this one four stars on Goodreads. Troublesome was more literary in the writing style. It had more depth and tackled a heavier subject. This one was a little lighter of a read, but still so good. 

I will say I wish AGAIN that I could do a final proofread on books before they get published. This one needed a little polishing.

This is another one I'm backdating, so I might be forgetting some things I would have said had I written this right when I finished it. Oops.

Pretty clean. If there was any swearing, it would have been the more mild swear words. There is some talk about "married love," but there's no descriptive sex scenes or anything. There are implications of bad behavior/violence, but nothing that goes into detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment