Why I have this book: I've enjoyed other books from the author, and because her books are pretty inexpensive on Kindle, I bought it. (My ebook library doesn't carry her books for some reason.)
I probably would give this about 3.5 stars on Goodreads if that were an option, but since it's not, I rounded up to a 4. It's not necessarily as profound or deep as some of my other 4-stars-books, but I really enjoy the cozy feeling her books have. Maybe it's because all her protagonists have dogs that bring a lot of comfort to them.
This one has a kind of weird addition of a "fairy grandfather," but it doesn't distract from the book and storyline too much. I think the story would have been just as strong (or stronger) without that little twist, but it was fine.
One thing that was interesting... in the book I read just previously (The Bright Side of Going Dark), the author used the word "empirically" several times. It's a word I didn't recall hearing before, so I looked it up for the meaning while reading that book. I was surprised she used it three times when it's not really a common word. Is it? Maybe I just don't hang with the right crowds (although the characters in the book don't seem like they are in any kind of elite crowd, either).
Anyway, imagine my surprise to see that same word used in this book. I had to look it up again because I didn't remember what it meant. Haha. I should try to memorize the meaning and make it part of my regular vocabulary to see how many people look at me with a puzzled expression because they have no idea what I'm saying.
Clean... maybe a little swearing, but I don't recall any of the stronger swear words. Can't be 100% on that, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment