Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Beach Read (Emily Henry)

Why I have this book: A friend read it and must have given it a high rating because I borrowed it from the ebook library on audio.

Sadly, I gave it only two stars on Goodreads. I thought I'd give it a higher rating at first, but by the end, I wasn't as thrilled.

The narrator did a great job. Some parts of the story were cute and fun, lots of humorous bantor, etc. I guess this is a "rom-com" type of book. Here were the things I didn't like:

The male love interest was way too in touch with his feelings. He spoke like a romantic girl, not a typical man. I can't imagine, in all honesty, any man or woman speaking the way either of them did. Definitely sounded like a movie script and not real life.

The sex scenes were more descriptive than I needed to read (listen to), and they also seemed a bit unrealistic. Too fast and furious and in uncomfortable places. It also kind of annoyed me that both times "protection" was brought up, it was her asking for it. Why can't the guy just be responsible and take care of it without her asking him about it? So dumb.

There was another male character who did some written communication that also sounded a bit too flowery and in touch with his feelings than a typical man. Maybe I'm just not around those type of men or maybe I'm just jaded, but I actually rolled my eyes a few times.

All in all... meh.

There were the above-mentioned sex scenes. There was some profanity, including the F-word. Part of the storyline involved researching a suicide cult, but none of that was graphically described.


No comments:

Post a Comment