Why I have this book: A friend "recommended" it a few years ago, although she didn't recommend it. She couldn't recommend it because of the language, but she also needed to talk about it because she loved it. Anyway, it was on sale for Kindle, so I bought it... because really, I felt like it was recommended to me. Haha...
Okay, I loved it, too. I had to stick with four stars on Goodreads just because the language is seriously over the top, but it really is great writing. It's the kind of writing that gets stuck in your gut. The characters get into your head, and even though the author doesn't spend a lot of in-depth writing on each character, somehow you know them and you know what created who they are.
There was a quote in the book that doesn't have a lot to do with the story, but that stood out to me at this time in my life: "Religion is something between you and other people; it's full of interpretations and theories and opinions. But faith... that's just between you and God."
Lots and lots of profanity, mainly the F-word. The storyline involves a rape, which is somewhat described (could be worse, but it's not nothing). There's some other violence, mainly fist fights. One character is gay and has an implied (not descriptive) relationship with another young man.
No comments:
Post a Comment