Why I have this book: I've heard of it for years, and somehow it came up as available for pretty cheap on Kindle. I'm not even sure how I came across it. Anyway, I decided to give it a read.
I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads because some of the dialog just seemed really superficial even though the emotions and story (a true one) are so much more intense.
I'm glad I read it. It's hard to imagine living this kind of experience, especially during a time when homosexuality and AIDS were so much more taboo. I don't know if I would have been able to retain as much love as the author did for her husband considering his choices. It's pretty amazing. I'd say she was ahead of her time with being able to have a more open-minded and fair view of the gay community.
The author is a published poet, and I really liked these words of hers. She added the last two lines after realizing she was surviving a really hard trial with strength she didn't know she had.
I dim, I dim -
I have no doubt
If someone blew
I would go out.
I did not.
I must be brighter than I thought.
Clean'ish considering the subject matter. There is obviously a lot of talk about homosexuality, and there may have been a few swear words, too, if I'm remembering correctly.
No comments:
Post a Comment