Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Everything, Everything (Nicola Yoon)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.

Okay, if I could just take out the swearing and one event in particular, this would be very close to a 5 star book for me. The story itself is fascinating, funny, emotional, and eyebrow-raising surprising at times. I think it's probably written for a teenage audience, but I would stay it's more appropriate for the YA crowd (although that might be pushing it for Christian readers). It's too bad it wasn't a bit more "clean," because I very much enjoyed this book.

If you do read it, just know that the "bonus" chapter after the story might take it all down a notch for you. It's kind of like a "deleted scene," but it feels out of place and actually takes away from the story for me. I guess that's why it wasn't kept in the story. I'm just not sure why the author included it at the end.

This book contains swearing (including the use of the Savior's name as an exclamation of emotion). I'm happy and somewhat surprised that the F-word was NOT in this book. It seems to be commonplace now in YA reading. There is some description of family abuse and premarital sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment