Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.
I loved this book. I'm not gonna lie... it's a tough read in parts, but it grabbed onto me and I was stuck in it every free moment. (I made extra free moments so I could stay stuck.)
I had never heard of the Tennessee Children's Home Society before reading this book. What a dark part of US adoption, and I can't help but wonder how much of this adoption "black market" still exists. I have no doubt that it does happen in places around the world, but I hope and pray that the majority of adoptions are on the up and up. As an adoptive mom, that certainly is my prayer. It helps me to understand the stricter requirements that have been put in place in my daughter's birth country. Even though I think it has complicated the process too much (and to the point of hurting the children as far as the waiting times and the chance to bond at a younger age), I can see why agencies and countries need to be very careful.
This book involves some tough subjects, including abuse of every kind. However, I was impressed that there was not one swear word in the entire book. Considering the evil of some of the characters, I was surprised that the author didn't have them using coarse language. I'm very happy about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment