Saturday, July 22, 2017

Candle in the Darkness (Lynn Austin)

Why I have this book: I got the Kindle version for free back in 2013.

I enjoyed this book. It didn't have the depth that some of the author's other books have, but it kept me engrossed throughout. One thing I really liked is that it explained a lot about the Civil War in a way that was simple enough to understand —like why the war started and how it progressed. It was a complicated time with all the various battles and leaders, so it was nice to have a more simple explanation for how things went down.

I also liked seeing the conflict through the eyes of a Southern girl whose family owned slaves, but who also felt slavery was wrong. I wonder how many Southerners had that conflicted viewpoint.

I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads, but I really would have liked to give it something closer to a 4, like a 3.7. I guess I should round up and go ahead and give it a 4. :)

This Christian novel is clean. There are a few mild descriptions of battle wounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment