Why I have this book: A friend recommended it years ago and I bought it a long while ago.
I didn't love this book at all. According to Amazon, it is geared towards grades 5-8, and yet, there is a lot of swearing. It confused me why a book for children has so much swearing in it.
I didn't like the main character or his father. I never felt a connection to either of them. I felt like both of them were disrespectful of other people (and society at large), although the son was that way because that's how he was raised. I never really *felt* a connection between the characters, even though the author described it happening. I did like some of the fringe characters and could feel their kindness and humanity, so that was a bit of a redeeming quality.
I just found the story depressing overall.
I didn't connect with this book. Maybe if I was more outdoorsy, I'd have found it more fascinating. I'm not sure I would even have my boys read it. Without the swearing, I maybe would, but I don't think the story makes it worth it.
There is a lot of swearing for a book written for elementary/middle school kids. The story also deals with death a couple of times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment