Why I have this book: I heard about it (and the author's story) a while ago, and finally bought the book on Kindle.
The author went through the traumatic event of her husband's murder, which was the result of his affair with a married woman. The seemingly perfect, young family life was shattered in one night by not only his death, but by the revelation of his infidelity.
I liked the parts of each chapter where the author described the events of her life both before and after that tragic night. "Liked" is probably not the right word, like it trivializes what she went through. What I mean is that I found it interesting, emotional, and heartbreaking.
I didn't really connect with the part of each chapter where she turned what she learned through those events into a opportunity to "teach" the reader a spiritual concept. I appreciated what she was saying and trying to do, but those sections were too wordy for me… maybe a little disjointed in some ways. After a while, I just skipped those paragraphs and went on to the next chapter. I feel bad saying that, since I think that was a big part of why she wrote the book - to share how her faith strengthened her during this horrible time. For my brain, though, less would have been more.
She has a second book that, I'm assuming, continues her story into her second marriage. I do want to read it, but I'll borrow it from the library.
I think there were a few "mild" swear words and some description of the murder of her husband.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment