Why I have this book: I bought a copy of it a while ago because I remembered it from my childhood. My grandma had me read it. I remember liking the story, and I'm not sure what prompted me to find it, but I did. And it's a print book! It was either a while ago (before I had a Kindle) or it wasn't available on Kindle. Not sure which.
Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the book. I think her story is awesome and important to share, but the writing is not great, in my opinion. I know she was writing conversations years after they really happened, but they just aren't realistic. They're very surface… they kind of remind me of the acting in old Disney movies, like Pollyanna.
There were a few moments when she expressed her confusion and despair at her situation that I could feel and relate to. I wish there was more of that, and also more depth to her conversion. It seemed like someone would read a scripture or tell her something spiritual and she would be like, "Oh, I agree!" and then everything would be happy. I know she spent more time than that, because she talks about her ups and downs, but it just didn't really get into it that much.
She chronicles her broken relationships a few times, but even in the update (years after her marriage), she doesn't talk about her husband or their courtship. It would have been nice to hear more about that, especially when she talked so much about why her other serious relationships broke up… namely, her permanent injury (although not just that).
I will probably pass this one on to the local library. I'm not sorry I read it… I just wish it had a little more depth. I'm not sure I would read it again, so it's best going where others have a chance to read it.
Clean, although she does talk about choices she made as a youth that were morally wrong and how that affected her in her life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment