Why have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.
This book has quite a list of awards attached to it. You can see the list on Amazon.
At 80% through, I could honestly say I LOVED this book. Loved it. At the end of it, I would say I loved it, but I think it could have ended at the close of Chapter 19 and I would have found it more satisfying. That's just me, though.
It's recommended for Grades 6-9, and while I think there are some kids at those ages who would appreciate the story, I think mid-teen to adult is a better fit. Some parts have a subtle depth that younger readers might not grasp. It could be one of those books that should be read again as an adult if one reads it when younger. Am I making sense? I guess I'm just thinking I might not have felt the same about it had I read it years ago.
In any case, I highly recommend it. I particularly loved Mr. Spiro. I could say more, but no spoilers.
I love how the author's name and the protagonist's name are so similar.
I don't recall any swearing until the last few chapters. Then I think there were about three swear words (two of which were "hell," which may or may not qualify.) There is one creepy scene with a drunk woman, but younger readers might not get it. I'm not even sure I get it. haha...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment