Monday, February 16, 2015

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (Ben Carson, M.D. and Cecil Murphey

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library. I had heard of Ben Carson, most recently in political discussion, and I thought his story sounded interesting.

To be honest, I was a little uncomfortable with how much self-adulation came across in this book. I really think all his accomplishments and talents and everything else amazing about him would have been better promoted in a biography rather than an autobiography. To be sure, he has a great story… and tremendous gifts. I definitely would want him in my corner if someone I loved needed brain surgery. It just felt awkward to hear him talk about his own achievements (academic and otherwise) over and over.

The second half of the book had a lot of cases from his medical career. They were very interesting (much more interesting for me than the first half of the book) and somewhat emotional to read. I had thought about giving up on the book around Chapter 9, but I'm glad I kept going. It really is amazing what modern medicine can achieve, and how blessed we are that there are men and women who truly do have gifts from God that can heal and/or treat those who are suffering.

Also, the first part of the book seemed like it was written for upper elementary reading levels. The second half (with the medical cases) seemed more directed at an adult level. I'm not sure who the target audience was meant to be. And I was a little perplexed by one of Dr. Carson's stories regarding his faith. I'll just leave it at that.

One more thing… I was surprised to see him refer to conjoined twins as "Siamese twins." I thought the PC term was "conjoined." Maybe I'm mistaken on that.

So all-in-all… it was somewhat disappointing, but his is an interesting and inspiring life.

Clean. He does use the "n" word as he describes events in his younger years.

No comments:

Post a Comment