Saturday, January 10, 2015

Every Secret Thing (Susanna Kearsley)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.

***AND I JUST FOUND OUT (on March 20, 2016) THAT SUSANNA KEARSLEY PUT THE NAME EMMA COLE ON THIS BOOK AS THE AUTHOR. Sorry for the shouting, but what? It was Susanna Kearsley when I read it, but it seems now she is using her "other" name, Emma Cole. Apparently, that is to differentiate between genres. (sigh)***

I'm a big fan of Susanna Kearsley. I love that she writes super involved stories without throwing any graphic sex or strong profanity into the mix. She is such a good writer. This particular story was something of a historical and contemporary mystery. (She takes the reader back and forth from current time to the WWII era.)

One problem with having books on hold with the ebook library is that I might not be in the mood for a book when it becomes available. I didn't think I was in the mood for this book, since it seemed to be a heavier and deeper read (as SK's book tend to be) and we all know that my brain has been very comfortable with light reads lately. Still, I knew I couldn't go wrong with an SK book, so I got started on the first page. It wasn't long until I was hooked. She knows how to grab the reader right away.

I stayed up way too late (1:30 am) last night to finish the book. I was dropping off to sleep every few minutes, not because I was bored, but because I was sooo tired. But I really wanted to know it all before I went to sleep!

I'm not entirely convinced everything was wrapped up completely satisfactorily (could have been because I kept dropping off to sleep), but I loved the journey this book took me on. I'm glad I have a couple other Susanna Kearsley books waiting to be read. I highly recommend her books.

Clean, although this IS a murder mystery of sorts. I don't even recall any swearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment