Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Spontaneous Happiness: A New Path to Emotional Well-Being (Andrew Weil, MD)

Why I have this book: It popped up in recommendations, and since I've read other books by Dr. Weil that I found interesting, I decided to read it.

I'm not quite finished with the book yet, since the last part of it is an 8 week program of making changes in one's life that will help with mental well-being. But I think I can review the book at this point.

There are a lot of studies mentioned in the book... I like that and dislike it at the same time. I like that it validates the author's theories, but I found that I skimmed some of that. I just wanted to get to a simple explanation of what one should do with that information. I don't agree with everything he says (I sense that he doesn't put a lot of stock into believing in God... at least not the Christian God), but there are a lot of good and simple suggestions that I think would be helpful to anyone who feels like they can improve their mental well-being. (Some examples: Limit the amount of time reading/listening to the news, have more social interaction, do more service, go on walks, enjoy nature...)

I'm going to look through the 8 week program and write down the suggestions that ring true to me. There are definitely some things he talked about that I know would be an improvement in my life.

So all-in-all, good book.

Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment