I had seen this author on the local news several months ago.... I found his story interesting then, but had no idea he had written a book. (Maybe it was mentioned in the news story and I just didn't catch it.)
So my first impression is, "I loved this book!" In fact, when I closed it at the end, the first thing I said to my husband was, "What a good book!" And it is. I enjoyed his writing style, I learned some new things about Tourette's, libraries (mostly that I'm even more convinced that I prefer to buy new books or borrow on my Kindle than actually go to a library and borrow books that have been who-knows-where), and humanity. I really admire his family life. What a neat woman his mom must be! What a great dad! His wife seems amazing, as well. Really, for examples of pure love, his family is tops.
A few disappointments: Why, oh why, must authors use profanity??? I understand that in some stories, to keep things true, the use of profanity paints the picture the author wants the reader to see. I think that's very rare. I also don't think this book is one of those books. The story would have been just as complete without the profanity, and would have been easier to recommend to others. Really, he uses the "big" bad words, and not just a few times. It's curious to me that his devout LDS mom and wife didn't persuade him to leave them out, if his own LDS background alone didn't convince him. Even leaving religion out of it... isn't there just a standard of decency authors can choose to follow?
Also, there were a few things in there pertaining to sexuality that didn't need to be shared. Really. Not necessary.
The story of his religious journey is well written. I found it interesting and touching... and somewhat contradictory at first glance. But I think there are many people who have undeniable spiritual experiences who still doubt.
The stories of his family of origin and the family he created are inspiring. There are such good people in this world, and most live quiet lives that nobody notices... except those who are touched by them. There is a lot to respect in those who live extraordinary lives without needing fanfare.
All in all, this book was thought-provoking and enjoyable to read. I'm glad I read it and will totally recommend it to those who can overlook the profanity and other unnecessary passages to see the deeper story of humanity.
One question though: Did he win? At the end of the book... Did he win the contest???
This book contains profanity, including the worst of it, and not just a few times. There are a few not-really-graphic sexual references, as well.
P.S. The Amazon page for this book contains a "book trailer" video in the words of the author.
Also, a couple of quotes I liked from this book. (I usually highlight in my own books, but as this is a library book...)
pg 208: "A mind can be lost without its owner's death. A mind that no longer questions only fulfills the rudimentary aspects of its function. A mind without wonder is a mere engine, a walking parasympathetic nervous system, seeing without observing, reacting without thinking, a forgotten ghost in a passive machine.
The mind that asks and experiments and evaluates will die one day, but will provide a richer life for its owner."
pg. 244: "If your body is your biography, then you are, at any given time, a perfect representation of all of your resolved and unresolved stresses."
(You can see this book covers a lot of topics the author has thought about.)
No comments:
Post a Comment