Friday, September 20, 2013

Out of My Mind (Sharon M. Draper)

Why I have this book: My friends' book club was considering it for a selection a while ago, and it sounded good, so I bought it. Then my other friend told me she read it, which reminded me that I had it in my Kindle. So... I finally read it.

I think every school teacher (including special education teachers) should read this book... and I think every teacher from maybe 3nd grade up should read it to their class. In fact, pretty much everyone should read it.

It took me a few chapters to get completely sucked in, but once I did, I was in for good. It's a story told from the perspective of an 11-year-old girl with cerebral palsy. Her mind is brilliant, but because of her disability, she has limited control of her body... including the ability to speak.

I was sooooooo happy when she received a computer to help her express herself. What a blessing technology is!

This is such a worthwhile read. I highly recommend it.

Clean, other than using the "other F-word." We don't say that word in our house... we say "toot" or "fluff."  :) Well, my grown-up kids have become corrupted and THEY come visit and say the "other F-word" in front of my little kids and then I have to keep my little ones from being corrupted, too. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment