Friday, May 17, 2013

Between Two Minds (Dr. Judith Stay Moore)

Why I have this book: I saw it while browsing LDS e-books on Amazon.

The rest of the title: Healing from Depression and Anxiety for LDS Women.

This book took me a while to read... a few months, I think. Not because it wasn't good... I just stopped reading it for a week or two at a time - several times.

I should have a degree by now with all the books on depression and anxiety I've read lately. After I finished this book yesterday, I had a thought. Do we assume that we or others have clinical depression when we/they are actually just unhappy with our/their lives? I actually googled the question and there have been studies to indicate that depression is over-diagnosed and over-treated with drugs, and that many cases of depression are actually more about just being unhappy with how we are living. There were questions to ask to determine when it's depression or when it's just unhappiness.

*I know that depression is a real medical condition. I have no doubt about that. I know too many people who have battled severe depression to suggest otherwise.*

Anyway, back to the book... I liked this book. There was a lot of focus on the Savior, as well as scientific information on neuropathways in the brain and how they relate to depression. I think it would be helpful for anyone battling depression or for those who care about them.

Clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment