Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Midnight in Austenland (Shannon Hale)

Why I have this book: I borrowed it from the ebook library.

If you know me at all, you're wondering why I was interested in reading another Shannon Hale book. I liked her quite a bit before reading The Actor and the Housewife, but I just can't get past that pathetic and disturbing book. Still, I did enjoy the first Austenland book, and borrowing means it's free, so...

The book... kinda funny (I actually chuckled aloud at one point... not usual for me while reading.) Suspenseful. A bit of romance. Some parts were creepy enough to make it tough for me to get out of bed, but the fact that I needed to check to make sure the doors were locked made it necessary. I had to keep reading, hoping I'd get to a part that wasn't as creepy so I would be brave enough to walk through the dark house to check the doors.  The book definitely kept my attention.

I can't put my thumb on what bothers me about it. The tone of it reminds me of TAATH (the book I mentioned above)... it's like a Hugh Grant movie. That wit, the British self-deprecating humor. The whole "Spit spot, Jolly-Oh!" cadence throughout the book. I understand this is set in Britain, I understand we're talking (make believe) Jane Austen era... but, I don't know... it's just a little much. Maybe that's on purpose, though.

In any case, it was a fun read. Perhaps if I didn't have that negative vibe due to TAATH, I'd not be bothered by any of it. *shrugs* Good read, overall.

Mostly clean. There are a couple of swear words (please, do we need to use the word "effin" in a book for adults? Used by an adult??? I know it's not necessarily a real swear word, but it's so low class.) There is that whole intense Pride and Prejudice romantic tension feel to the story, and of course, there is the creepiness of murder stalking throughout the book.

1 comment:

  1. You are a better woman than I for giving SH a second chance. After TAATH, I just can't stomach another SH novel.

    ReplyDelete